[mythtv-users] safe_mythbackend script?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jul 7 17:10:02 EDT 2003

Has anyone given any thought about writing a safe_mythbackend script
similar to safe_mysqld?  For those who are unfamiliar, this is basically
a little shell script that monitors the mysql server and makes sure that
it's always running.  I've run into times when mythbackend has died
without my noticing, and it would be nice if it had been able to start
itself back up again.

I doubt it would be hard to adapt mysql's script, so maybe I'll poke
around at it if someone doesn't beat me to it (I'm preparing for my
in-law's 25th wedding anniversary so it'd be a couple of days).

What do others think about this, though?

How robust is mythfrontend if it loses connection with the backend?
will it recover if a new instance of the backend reappears?

-Chris