[mythtv-users] Nupplevideo, why?

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Jul 5 03:04:57 EDT 2003

There has been a lot of discussion on the list about transcodeing,
streaming, and otherwise converting the video from mythtv to some other
format.

This message is mostly directed at our hero, the man who has rescued us
from slow hardware and subscription fees, the man who has removed the
restrictions of the broadcasting giants and the "cheapest bidder"
profiteers of tivo and replay.  The one and only Issac!

Sorry, had to boost his ego a bit so his frustration over my question
will be softened... grin!  All the others who have contributed so much
time and effort to making myth what it is today, we haven't forgotten
you either!

Anyway, at this stage in myth's development, most users are using some
sort of mpeg to encode their video... be it mpeg4 software, or mpeg2
hardware.  So why are we still using nupple to wrap it in.  I'm sure
there is a good reason for it otherwise it'd be long gone right?

What would it take to do away with it?  Is it even possible at all?
Would we even really want to?  Is there something I don't know, ok don't
answer that... there are a lot of things I don't know... like coding for
example!

Anyway, I was thinking that since most of us have moved away from mjpeg,
and are using some form of mpeg encoding, which I assume is cross
platform compatible, why not just move the entire project in that
direction?  It seems that people's dreams of a streaming server and
windoze compatibility would be much easier realized... hell a windows
based frontend port might even be possible?!?

So if Issac says it's possible, what are the odds that someone will take
the time to actually rewrite such a large portion of the code... I'm
sure it will be more than a simple rework, but I think it might be worth
it!  Any volunteers?

Joe