[mythtv-users] Nupplevideo, why?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Sat Jul 5 09:39:30 EDT 2003

Joseph H. Fry wrote:

>the man who has rescued us from slow hardware

FYI, it's the avcodec project which saved us from slow hardware and did
the key work here, apart from those inventing the compression formats in
the first place (but no thanks to the latter, because they are patented).

>why are we still using nupple to wrap it in.

This is said to be a FAQ, and Isaac's answer was 'because I like the
flexibility of having my own format'. There is probably alot of
discussion (in various threads) about that to be found on the archives.

>It seems that people's dreams of a streaming server and
>windoze compatibility would be much easier realized...

Yes, but transcoding the container format (nuppelvideo -> mpeg
container) only shouldn't be all that computing intensive. Maybe you can
even reuse some of the existing transcoding code, I don't know.

>hell a windows based frontend port might even be possible?!?

A Windows frontend is possible even with NuppleVideo. What is needed is
somebody who wants to implement it.