[mythtv-users] Low CPU settings?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Feb 6 20:52:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:24:30 -0500, Risto Treksler wrote:

> i doubt you can trade off cpu usage for disk space and get better
> quality
>
> Aren't you already using the lowest workable resolution?

At the compression level I'm using, yes.  I'm wondering if there are
settings which will do less compression, and so take less CPU time,
but have the resulting data stream be larger.

For example, turning off audio compression has this property (I'm
already doing that).  If the raw image data were stored to (an
unreasonably fast) disk, it would have this property.

When you increase the quality setting of the RTjpeg or other video
codecs, does the CPU (a) increase its work trying to find more accurate
representations of the original image, or (b) decrease its work by not
trying as hard to remove data?

I suppose I'll just end up trying a bunch of things, but I thought
someone might just know.

Thanks,

   - Ian