[mythtv-users] Myth, WinXX Playback & 20 questions

Duane Ellis duane at franklin.com
Tue Dec 30 12:11:14 EST 2003

[bounced, resending]

> torbjorn> Are your recording in mpeg4 or in mpeg2?

> duane > I have a hauppauge 250 card, thus it is a MPEG [2] file.

> torbjorn> Since your files is in mpeg2, the filters I did will be of
	    very limited use.  The only part you can use with mpeg2
	    .nuv files is the shell extensions and the propertypage.

They are usefull.

> torbjorn> Since the .nuv files is realy just mpeg2 files, you can
	    rename them to .mpg instead (but then the extra explorer
	    propertypage and the extra columns in explorer will not
	    work anymore, they check for .nuv extension) and play them
	    like any other mpeg2 file.

Yes, renaming lets me play them in *SOME* decoders - not all. [more
below] Your program keys off both the FILENAME - [extracting
DATE/TIME] which it seems to then use to search the database.

Renaming: YYMMDD....YYMMDD.....nuv -> HumanName.nuv makes your package
not work. You win and you loose. Hmmm Wonder if there is a way that
MYTH can insert a 'comment' record or something like that into the
MPEG data kind of like an "id3" tag for MP3 - that gives the show name
and that sort of stuff.

> torbjorn> Note that windows does not include an mpeg2 decoder filter
	    so you have to install one, installing any dvd playback
	    program (like powerdvd or windvd) shoud probably work.

Yes, they tend to be able to play the mpeg file quite nicely.
My goal though - is to hack myth-web "Recorded Shows" so that
I can click on something that I can play on the PC.

ffmpeg seems to be a solution - it has a video streamer/server and a
video player.

Problem becomes - step #1 is a good standalone player that has the
right look and feel - the only thing that works is WinDVD Creator tool

It's like using a chain-saw instead of table-saw. They both cut wood
but are used for very different purposes.

-duane