[mythtv-users] Myth, WinXX Playback & 20 questions

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Tue Dec 30 06:21:48 EST 2003

See inline comments

> sorry - been busy and not able to reply right away.
>
> torbjorn> Are your recording in mpeg4 or in mpeg2? The directshow
> 	  filter currently only works with nupple vilde files
> 	  (mpeg4/rtjpeg) and not mpeg2 files.  If the nuv file begins
> 	  with "MythTVVideo" then it's a nupplevideo file and not
> 	  mpeg2 so the directshow filters shoud work.
>
> huh? Confused. I have a hauppauge 250 card, thus it is a MPEG file.
> My files begin with binary bytes, not "MythTVVideo"
>
> How exactly do I make the direct show things work, perhaps I'm brain
> dead and don't see something I should. Something like I should click
> (A) then (B) then (C) then (D) then - it should work.
>
> More specifically - How do I verify that the direct show filter is
> 'registered' with win-media player or what ever?
>
> If I goto start-control-pannel multi-media-video-codecs I see some
> things -but nothing like 'direct show'

Since your files is in mpeg2, the filters I did will be of very limited use.
The only part you can use with mpeg2 .nuv files is the shell extensions and
the propertypage.

Since the .nuv files is realy just mpeg2 files, you can rename them to .mpg
instead (but then the extra explorer propertypage and the extra columns in
explorer will not work anymore, they check for .nuv extension) and play them
like any other mpeg2 file.
Note that windows does not include an mpeg2 decoder filter so you have to
install one, installing any dvd playback program (like powerdvd or windvd)
shoud probably work.

> duane> [ffplay - part of ffmpeg not building/working]
>
> Progress.
>
> Previously this did not work, could not build it. Now I can problem
> is: You can not use cygwin to build it. Both FFMPEG and SDL lib must
> build with MinGW and MSYS period.
>
> Audio cannot seem to keep up - confused - I'd think a 1.3GHZ athalon
> win98 box would be just fine for playback of mpeg2 files from
> a local hard disk. Not sure how to get '%cpu' out of a win98 box.
>
> The audio is stuttering ./ffplay -stats foo.nuv shows the audio
> queue running down to zero.

I haven't playd with ffmpeg or tried to compile it.
If I'm not mistaken, there shoud be some program on win98 under accessories
that let you view the cpu usage.
if you don't have it, maybe you have to add it from the installation cd (via
add/remove programs somewere maybe?)

But I coud be wrong since I haven't used win98 in several years.

> torbjorn>> [try upgrading to winXP]
>
> Don't want to go there my son's games had problems before, and I will
> not do an upgrade, only a 'install from clean hard disk' period
> nothing else.

I woud also have done a clean install, but it's lot of work to do it and
geting all the programs installed again so I try to avoid it for as long as
posibel.