[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide- ivtv, QMYSQL3 driver not loaded, mythtvuser cannot run setup

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Mon Dec 15 13:28:45 EST 2003

> Thanks for the response.  I didn't consider this before, but one of the
> things that has been done to this system is the application of the
> bastille-linux script.  I chose to set the default umask to 077, among
> other
> things.

>> Ah, that would definitely cause problems...

Ok, here's an update.  After a few hours of frustration, I decided to wipe
the system and do a reinstall.  I was a bit more liberal on package
selection this time and did *not* install the Bastille-Linux firewall/script
for now.

I no longer have the problem with not being able to run myth as a
non-privileged user, so that's good.  I do, however still have a problem
with ivtv.  Here is the relevant info...

When I run # /sbin/depmod -a and # /sbin/modprobe ivtv they both work fine,
so it seems that I can load the driver.
When I try to play the test capture with mplayer, it complains that my
system is too slow, so it must not be using the driver (or the hardware
encoding capabilities of the driver).
When I try to watch LiveTV in Myth, it is choppy.  Returning to the shell
reveals a message that myth couldn't find ivtv, so encoding with be done in
software.

Running /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -a shows:

ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e9