[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide- ivtv, QMYSQL3 driver not loaded, mythtvuser cannot run setup

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 16 00:34:42 EST 2003

On Dec 15, 2003, at 10:28, Michael Starks wrote:

>> Thanks for the response.  I didn't consider this before, but one of
>> the
>> things that has been done to this system is the application of the
>> bastille-linux script.  I chose to set the default umask to 077, among
>> other
>> things.
>
>>> Ah, that would definitely cause problems...
>
> Ok, here's an update.  After a few hours of frustration, I decided to
> wipe
> the system and do a reinstall.  I was a bit more liberal on package
> selection this time and did *not* install the Bastille-Linux
> firewall/script
> for now.

Heh, I guess the revert script doesn't exactly do what it claims...

> I no longer have the problem with not being able to run myth as a
> non-privileged user, so that's good.  I do, however still have a
> problem
> with ivtv.  Here is the relevant info...
>
> When I run # /sbin/depmod -a and # /sbin/modprobe ivtv they both work
> fine,
> so it seems that I can load the driver.

Just after loading the driver, take a peek at "dmesg |grep ivtv" to
confirm.

> When I try to play the test capture with mplayer, it complains that my
> system is too slow, so it must not be using the driver (or the hardware
> encoding capabilities of the driver).

The hardware encoder has nothing to do with playback. Playback is done
entirely in software.

> When I try to watch LiveTV in Myth, it is choppy.  Returning to the
> shell
> reveals a message that myth couldn't find ivtv, so encoding with be
> done in
> software.

?!? There's no way I'm aware of that you'd get any video from that card
without using ivtv...

> Any ideas?

Not off the top of my head. How fast is the computer? Maybe you just
don't have enough oomph, as mplayer seems to think (and the choppy
playback would indicate). Could also be a video out driver, so let us
know what you're using for that also.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...