[mythtv-users] Resolution

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 12:02:54 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 17:10, Javier Santos wrote:
> I have just set up mythtv on my Gentoo system. Everything is working
> fine. I have got choppy video with RTJPeg at 480x480 (default)
> resolution, but it works ok at 320x240.
>
> My setup is:
> Celeron 1200 Mz
> Pinnacle PCTV
> Nvidia TNT rage
>
> The disk dma is turned on, my distro is Gentoo and my kernel is 2.22
> with preemption and low latency.
>
> Should I expect 480x480 resolution to work without dropping frames or
> I just should buy a Hauppauge PVR?

I can do 480x480 on my Athlon XP 1600+ (I assume you mean LiveTV).  Your
machine is a bit slower, but I'd guess you should be able to handle it.
What are your recording profile settings (not just resolution, but
quality & MP3 settings)?  Also, how much/what kind of RAM do you have?
Try setting your MP3 quality at 7, and turn down the RTjpeg quality to
around 172 or so.  Though you may like the picture better at 320x240,
or 320x480, rather than turning down the quality.  Fiddle with it until
you get something you like.

-JAC