[mythtv] Switching MythMusic to use storage groups

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu Feb 6 18:59:26 UTC 2014

On 06/02/14 17:41, Warpme wrote:
> On 04/02/14 14:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> It's a bug that has been there for a long while. We've never cleaned 
>> those up
>> properly. Embedded images get removed from the DB but not from the on 
>> disk
>> cache and the directory images and directory ID's don't get removed 
>> from the
>> DB at all.
>> I'll add it to my list of things to look at.
> Paul,
> Thx for addressing this.

The directory IDs should now be cleaned up properly. I still need to 
look at the albumart images.

> I'm playing little with current mythmusic. It works well.
> On one time however, I had situation where whole fe started to be very 
> slow (reaction on every key-press takes 5-10sec).
> Looking on CPU usage shows 100% load on mythfrontend process.
> After some investigation it looks like source of high CPU load is 
> related to mythmusic current album cover displaying/loading.
> I replaced cover.jpg to another version download from Internet and 
> slowness gone.
> Whole this tells me that:
> -there is somehow low tolerance on graphics files (not strange as 
> every software has its limits in tolerance of input data), or
> -there is issue with mythui image loading/processing (as You and 
> stuartm were disusing few days ago on IRC).
> Unfortunately  - for causal user symptoms are not pleasant.
> If You want to reproduce problem - I can provide You via PM errant.jpg 
> file.
> I think it will be worth to at least diagnose root cause - and maybe 
> (if it is possible) - add some checks/filters/wahtever for avoiding 
> such negative impact on user experience.

Yeah email me the errant.jpg I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Which screen was this on and which theme?

Is this on a combined FE/BE machine or FE only machine?

> Also some side remark over mythmusic with large music collection: I 
> have +30k songs. I was pleasantly surprised by mythmusic speed when 
> You just publish new mythmusic converted to mythUI.
> Now however - when I ask for playlist editor view  - I have to wait 
> 3-5sec to any change on screen. I'm writing about this only because 
> I'm pretty sure some time ago it was loading  surprisingly fast and 
> now is noticeably slower (so for me it is kind of regression).
> This slowdown hasn't any relation to mythmusic move to SG.
> Thx for Your excellent work!

The initial version after the switch to MythUI was faster but something 
has changed to slow things down but don't know what. I know Stuart made 
a change to the sorting in the GenericTree that slowed things down 
considerably but I thought we had addressed that one already. The switch 
to use storage groups will only make things worse. I'm sure there are 
changes that can be made to speed things up but I want to complete the 
switch to storage groups first.

Paul H.

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list