[mythtv] Not decoding enough audio data?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 24 23:25:41 UTC 2010

On 04/24/2010 05:15 PM, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, I have seen stutters with audio for some years now and only now
> had some time to debug it a little.  In general it occurs during blank
> frames on DVB-T streams (UK).  However, I'm also seeing it
> occasionally in other situations now.
>
> Having instrumented the audio layer, the problem actually seems to be
> the audio ringbuffer running dry and no samples left to feed the
> soundcard.  Now, I poked around a little trying to figure out the
> feedback loop which is controlling how much audio data is being
> decoded at any time, but confess I can't see how this is happening?
>
> Can someone please give me a brief heads up on which parts of the code
> to look at more closely so I can debug this on my setup please?

This sounds exactly like the bug that:

Extra audio buffering
Enable this setting if MythTV is playing "crackly" audio.  This setting
affects digital tuners (QAM/DVB/ATSC) and hardware encoders.  It will
have no effect on framegrabbers (MPEG-4/RTJPEG).  MythTV will keep extra
audio data in its internal buffers to workaround this bug.

was meant to work around.  Also, I think Jean-Yves Avenard has a patch
that fixes the actual bug.  I don't think it's gone into trunk (let
alone any -fixes branches), yet.

Mike