[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r20083 by cpinkham

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Mar 2 10:33:37 UTC 2009

* On Mon Mar 02, 2009 at 02:16:49AM -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Add IsMACAddress(QString MAC) and WakeOnLAN(QString MAC) utility functions.
>     > These are used by the patch I'm running to allow automatic wakeup and shutdown
>     > of slave backends.
>
> Chris, when you first said you were working on this, I mentioned that
> some (buggy) motherboard/distro combinations won't wake unless the
> packets were sent to the broadcast address (not just their to their
> MAC) -and- unless they were sent octet-for-otect reversed.  I just
> looked through your changesets and didn't see the latter; did you
> decide to punt, or did you forget?  (Sending to both the forward &

I decided to forget this.  I also did not do anything about sending
to ports other than 32767.  I figured once I started down that slippery
slope I'd never get back up. :)

I'd say that the user should always test WOL from the command line
using a tool such as wakelan, and if that works without any options
and with a forward non-reversed MAC, then the internal WOL will work.

If the user determines that their card needs the MAC reversed, they
can easily put the MAC in backwards in the setting field.

A user should make sure WOL is working outside of Myth before attempting
to use it in Myth.  They'll have much less heartache and lost
recordings by doing so rather than just setting up WOL in Myth and
hoping their slave can WOL correctly.

--
Chris