[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r20083 by cpinkham

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Mon Mar 2 13:32:58 UTC 2009

Chris Pinkham schreef op 2-3-2009 11:33:
> * On Mon Mar 02, 2009 at 02:16:49AM -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>     > Add IsMACAddress(QString MAC) and WakeOnLAN(QString MAC) utility functions.
>>     > These are used by the patch I'm running to allow automatic wakeup and shutdown
>>     > of slave backends.
>>
>> Chris, when you first said you were working on this, I mentioned that
>> some (buggy) motherboard/distro combinations won't wake unless the
>> packets were sent to the broadcast address (not just their to their
>> MAC) -and- unless they were sent octet-for-otect reversed.  I just
>> looked through your changesets and didn't see the latter; did you
>> decide to punt, or did you forget?  (Sending to both the forward &
>
> I decided to forget this.  I also did not do anything about sending
> to ports other than 32767.  I figured once I started down that slippery
> slope I'd never get back up. :)
>
> I'd say that the user should always test WOL from the command line
> using a tool such as wakelan, and if that works without any options
> and with a forward non-reversed MAC, then the internal WOL will work.
>
> If the user determines that their card needs the MAC reversed, they
> can easily put the MAC in backwards in the setting field.
>
> A user should make sure WOL is working outside of Myth before attempting
> to use it in Myth.  They'll have much less heartache and lost
> recordings by doing so rather than just setting up WOL in Myth and
> hoping their slave can WOL correctly.
>
> --
> Chris

To be honest this is going to be one of the cooler features coming up in
the next version, this will be welcomed by a lot of users I know already
running a lightweight homeserver and separate HTPC.
When the mythjobqueue-program becomes clear to me as well I might invest
in one of those plugtop devices or even my modem if it doesn't require
too much memory.

In short: great work!

Regards,

Jos Hoekstra