[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19661 by stuartm

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Tue Jan 13 11:31:28 UTC 2009

Nigel Pearson wrote:
>>> Reverts [19660]. I don't think this is the correct fix,
>>>

> We could do it better by storing an array of popups,
> and only creating a new one if the message text is
> different, but I reckon that can be added if we ever
> have the need of it.
>
> I can't see that need yet?
>

>>> discarding confirmation dialogs is going to lead to tears as
>>> important errors, prompts and the like just disappear as though
>>> they never existed.
>>>

> These popups are mainly used for information purposes
> (well, at least they were before you added Cancel :-).
>
> I suspect any scenario that needs context from previous
> messages for the user to make a decision is probably
> broken from a UI interaction point of view?
>

> If the user really needs the messages from multiple popups,
> we should do it differently.
> (e.g. adding to a log string, and presenting popups
>        with ever growing content, or scrolling text,
>        or a scrollable list)
>

>> It not MythWelcome creating the dialogs its something in MythContext I
>> think.
>>

> True.

I agree with Stuart it should be the popup creator that keeps track of
what it's showing. In this case MythContext::ConnectServer() should keep
track of the popup it's showing.

I've attached a patch for testing/comments that keeps track of the popup
only showing it once even if ConnectServer() is called several times and
also automatically removes the dialog  once a connection is restored at
least it does that in MythWelcome in MythFrontend you still have to
dismiss it manually since it doesn't try to reconnect automatically
unlike MythWelcome.

Paul H.