[mythtv] New thetvdb.com query engine (grabber)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:38:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> OT: copyright infringement is just that, it is not theft.

Equally OT: Taking something that everyone else has to pay for, but
you get for free and without consent, is theft no matter what name you
give it to make yourself feel better.  Momma would smack me across the
face for implying otherwise.

> Of the bugs I've seen reported so far on the 0.21 backports, they
> exist on trunk version too...
> So you could say that in many ways those patches have helped improving trunk...

And what of people being asked to spend time supporting your packages?
 Your asking people not to seek help for them hasn't stopped them
doing so in IRC.  It's frustrating.

>> path that has worked well for me and others-- you get to know the
>> maintainer of the module you want to work on, and feel out where they
>
> Is there information somewhere as to whom is responsible for what ?
> You may know all of this, but I don't
>
> I see some of my tickets being assigned to a person, but they are like
> 3 lettres person.. Hard to know who that is.

Sure, no problem:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GoToDev

>> intend to go with it, then you assist in that as best you can.  I've
>> gotten a non-trivial number of patches applied by being amenable to
>> what the maintainer's goals were, and I've seen a fair amount of
>> functionality I wanted added for me because I was in the right place
>> (and in the right frame of mind) to suggest a way I would like to see
>> things done and ask if the maintainer was amenable to it.  If you feel
>> you're on the ignore list, and want to get off of it, it starts with
>> coming to things from a position where you acknowledge that you don't
>> get to decide how things are done at first.  Then, over time, you can
>
> I understand what you are saying...
>
> For my defence, I don't think I ever came from a position where I
> decided how things were done.
> I've always started from something already existing and that was doing
> things in a particular way.
> I never changed the behaviour or how things was done. Only submitted fixes.
>

>> influence the way things go.  Then, after a bit of that, you get to
>> take on larger tasks of your choice and make the case for them to be
>> done your way.  It works well and you make friends doing it.
>
> cool do we all have a beer after ? :)

When geographically possible.  ;)

> Thank you for your answers, very informative

You are welcome, good luck.

Robert