[mythtv] Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 09:56:19 UTC 2008

"Paulo Cavalcanti" <promac at gmail.com> writes:

>> > I am having problems to make mythtv work with kernel 2.6.25 (Fedora 8).
>> >
>> > The problem seems to be my capture card, a Prolink Pixelview.
>>
>> Sounds like a problem with the driver for your capture card.
>> Try taking this to http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php
>>
>> My guess is other programs like xawtv will also be broken with the newer
>> kernel...

> No. xawtv and tvtime play just fine. The system is also pretty stable.
>
> The only problem is mythtv (LiveTV). The version of the bttv driver is the
> same (0.9.17) on both kernels.
>
> That is why I am asking a direction here. I see no way of isolating the
> problem, without knowing how myth interacts with the hardware.

I had the same problem and stayed on kernel 2.6.24 with my bttv cards.
I did some investigation and the problem seems to be related to the
changeover to V4L2 in 2.6.25.

This message http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/6/83 describes a patch to the
bttv driver, but if you look at the 2.6.25 kernel source you will see
that it isn't there.  If you apply this patch (like I tried) then it
will get further, it won't lockup but I didn't get any video either.

I e-mailed video4linux-list at redhat.com, v4l-dvb-maintainer at linuxtv.org
and mchehab at infradead.org reporting the problem, but the e-mail never
appeared on the list and I had no reply from the maintainer.

There looks like there is a different patch for this problem in the
latest v4l git tree and mainline kernel, but I haven't tried them:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mchehab/v4l-dvb.git;a=commitdiff;h=81b2dbcad86732ffc02bad87aa25c4651199fc77
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=81b2dbcad86732ffc02bad87aa25c4651199fc77

I am waiting for kernel 2.6.26 and hoping that it will work again.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
                                      http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/