[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r15604 by cpinkham

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jan 28 00:50:57 UTC 2008

* On Sun Jan 27, 2008 at 08:36:54PM +0000, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Would it make sense to add a storage group type field now.
> I can think of a few types already.

I believe that the mods being worked on to create MythVideo Storage
Groups will have some type of type field added to signify that these
are MythVideo groups.  That field should allow these other types as
well.  These should probably be enums in storagegroup.h.

> 1. Default (the current ones)
> 2. Thumbs
> 3. DB Backups
> 4. Offline Content
> 5. Local Copy

> I evisage #4 being used for things like where some content is archived
> off to a removable medium (DVD, ext HDD etc) while still keeping the
> metadata in the DB. We can then build frontend support around this.

Yes, I agree.  One of the things in my mind when I created Storage Groups
was having the ability to have an 'Archive' group or similar.  You could
point this group at /mnt/cdrom or similar and have automount setup.  The
normal file searching routines would not look at this directory unless
you were searching this exact group, so the system wouldn't try to
automount /mnt/cdrom all the time, it would only try it when you played
a recording that was in the Storage Group that was configured for /mnt/cdrom.

Archiving to CD/DVD becomes as simple as burning the file(s) to DVD and
changing the recorded.storagegroup field to the name of this special Archive
Storage Group.

> #5 Could be used for things like local copies of content, which would
> then allow things like a portable frontend to be designed and built.
> This would be for things like the long car/train journeys where you have
> everything you need to run without a backend being present.

Not sure if this is needed.  The SG search code doesn't care where these
dirs are, it will search them all if it can't find the file in the dir
list for the given SG.  For taking something like MythVideo or MythMusic
on a laptop, all you would have to do is setup a SG with the proper dirs
and the search code would find the files.

If we add a type field as you mention though, we could be more intelligent
about which dirs we search.  If the user created the special DB Backups
group, there's no need to search for video recordings in its directory.

--
Chris