[mythtv] mythvideo DB enhancement

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jan 3 20:49:21 UTC 2008

* On Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 12:13:05PM -0800, Anduin Withers wrote:
> > I'm really against the forcing of unique filenames. I don't want to
> > setup 55 storage groups for my dvd backups nor create a new one when I
> > buy another dvd nor rename them away from what they are on the disk.
>
> It is possible this isn't as bad as it sounds. For directories containing
> VIDEO_TS we just store the directory. Now if everything were just dvd.avi,
> well yes that would not work well.

If the path stored is relative to the SG, then unless you already setup
those 55 groups then you wouldn't need to.

You _couldn't_ do this:

SG - MythVideo
  Dir 1 - /media/video1
     DVD 1 - /media/video1/title1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
     DVD 2 - /media/video1/title2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
  Dir 2 - /media/video2
     DVD 1 - /media/video2/title1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
     DVD 2 - /media/video2/title2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

But you _could_ do this:

SG - MythVideo
  Dir 1 - /media/video1
     DVD 1 - /media/video1/title1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
     DVD 2 - /media/video1/title2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
  Dir 2 - /media/video2
     DVD 3 - /media/video2/title3/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
     DVD 4 - /media/video2/title4/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
SG - MythVideo2
  Dir 1 - /media/video3
     DVD 1 - /media/video3/title1/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
     DVD 2 - /media/video3/title2/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

So, for MythVideo's use, you could have 2 "title1" subdirs in different
Storage Groups, but you can't have them in the same Storage Group with
the same relative path.

> >> [per-frontend video lists]
> > Just so you are aware, this will break mythweb's mythvideo scanner.
>
> It would only break it the same way it would break any scanning done on some
> other frontend. The scan would naturally change to only alter those entries
> matching the scanning host (or no host).

What it might prohibit is the ability to stream these files from the backend
unless the backend has the ability to see all storage dirs.  With the way
the SG search code works, you could easily modify the backend's file
serving code to serve up these files as well.  It may even work as-is since
MainServer::LocalFilePath() already falls back to searching Storage Groups
if the file you are looking for isn't in the recorded table.

--
Chris