[mythtv] mythvideo DB enhancement

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 04:18:50 UTC 2008

I'll try to pull together the comments so far:

On 3-Jan-08, at 10:28 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> The TV recorder will only put files where you tell it that it can put
> them when you setup a scheduled recording in the scheduled recording

Thanks, it's obvious now that you say it but I didn't catch that at
the time.

>> [I was discussing how SGs would be presented in mythvideo setup]
> One question that comes to mind is are these attributes per directory
> or per SG?
> if they are per-SG then they should be broken out into a
> separate table.  The SG editor could show different attributes
> depending
> on what kind of SG this is (MythTV, MythVideo, etc.)

Yes, was thinking of a videostoragegroup table to carry attributes
beyond what normal SGs have. I haven't thought of a generic SG editor
for the frontend but if this flies and people like it I guess it
could be made generic.

Also, I figured it'd be best to edit these SGs on the frontend since
there's no way to run mythtv-setup from the regular menus but anyway
it sounds like there's agreement on building an editor into the plugin.

>> I would make SG::GetAllFiles return
>> relative paths (since one beauty of SG's is you don't care which dir
>
> I'd say use a flag to determine whether it returns relative or full
> or possibly a QMap of both.

OK, I'm mostly thinking of my little xbox FE and its skimpy memory
profile but lets see if optimizing is necessary.

On 3-Jan-08, at 3:49 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

>>> Just so you are aware, this will break mythweb's mythvideo scanner.
>>
>> It would only break it the same way it would break any scanning
>> done on some
>> other frontend. The scan would naturally change to only alter
>> those entries
>> matching the scanning host (or no host).
>
> What it might prohibit is the ability to stream these files from
> the backend
> unless the backend has the ability to see all storage dirs.

A problem with the current setup is all video clients see the entire
video list regardless of if they can reach the file (I'm mean when DB
view is active which is always for me). With per-frontend SG settings
you can at least tell each host which videos apply to it.

That said, I'm not sure what to do about a master backend that
doesn't have a local frontend. Where does the uPnP video server get
its storage group settings from? If you're running mythweb you can
define groups for a headless BE. Otherwise... ?

On 3-Jan-08, at 3:48 PM, Anduin Withers wrote:

> I still think GetAllFiles() is heading down the wrong path, that is
> a return
> to the separate scanning logic between DB scans, DB views, and file
> browse
> mode

I'm still not following but I'm not sure if the disconnect is I don't
understand what you're saying or I haven't explained myself very
well. To me this will clean up the code under
VideoListImp::fillMetadata but maybe I'm not seeing something.

I'm hoping to do some coding over the weekend and that will either
make clear what I'm thinking or I'll hit whatever problem you're
anticipating. Once I have it fleshed out I'll open a ticket and we
can refine things through trac.

- George