[mythtv] font char width on some osd lines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 23 05:48:17 UTC 2008

On 04/22/2008 09:39 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:
>> If so, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/326414#326414
>> .  (And, you might want to read through the rest of the thread.)  The
>> best bet for a workaround is to remove/comment the font <filename> from
>> osd.xml .
> getting rid of the font is not ideal :0

Actually, removing the <filename> element simply reverts to using the
"system default" font (i.e. the font specified in the setting
"OSDFont").  In theory, simply specifying the same font in settings
would give proper font (but without the scaling issues); though--as I
mentioned--I haven't been able to reproduce the issue so I can't verify
that it would work properly with the same font specified, but not
specified in the osd.xml.  (All my information is from second- and
third-hand sources.)

In order to be able to specify the same font for the "OSDFont" setting
using the GUI, the font file probably needs to exist in
/usr{,/local}/share/mythtv/ (and the filename has to end with "ttf").
However, once set, Myth should be able to find the font as long as it
exists in ~/.mythtv/ , /usr{,/local}/share/mythtv/ , or the (root of
the) theme directory structure.  Alternatively, you can specify an
absolute path for the font file in OSDFont.

But, I do agree that the issue is one that should be fixed.  I'm just
hoping that my further explaining the workaround may give you more
information that may be useful in debugging.

Mike