[mythtv] OSX backend beta test

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Jan 9 16:28:11 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 09:56 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:
>> *that's* the sort of answer I'm looking for.  So does it matter that
>> Close() doesn't do anything and all the real action happens in the
>> Channel's destructor?
> In practice I assume it does not make a difference, but it may break
> with any change in TVRec that assumes that calling close actually closes
> the channel class' handle[s].
>
>> Ouch.  So my refactoring, which is pulling lots of common source out
>> of firewirerecorder/firewirechannel into
>> firewirerecorderbase/firewirechannelbase so that
>> darwinfirewirerecorder/darwinfirewirechannel can use it too, can't be
>> tested?
> It can be tested, as there are people on the dev list that do use the
> firewirerecorder, but they are not (active?) developers. So you may need
> to participate in a rather painful
>   change -> e-mail to tester -> interpret logs -> change loop

Aha.

If I want to test it myself I suppose I could start building MythTV
for linux on this laptop, but at that point maybe I should give up on
the Mac port and buy another linux box for this purpose :(

I'm beginning to wonder if using MacOS for MythTV is such a hot idea
in the first place, as there seem to be important parts of the system
that would need to be ported.  Several features like mythbrowser,
transcode, mythmusic, mythgame, and mythphone, (and, I presume,
upcoming DVD burning(?), which is important to me), seem to rely on
linux specifics, and I guess it's going to be nontrivial to port those
to MacOS.  I really like the idea of a MacOS MythTV appliance, but not
if it's going to be a full-time job to get there.

Is anyone else motivated to get these things ported?  Just wondering
whether there is likely to be much momentum around a more
comprehensive MacOS port or if I'm mostly alone in the wilderness...

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting