[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 9 02:03:11 UTC 2006

I feel the ease of modifying xml files and database entries to
accommodate your needs is the beauty of mythtv and whomever has the
initiative enough to download and install mythTV on a linux box (and
get it to work with their tuner, download guide data, etc.) should
also take the time to learn enough about it to set it up for people
who don't need to get that involved. MythTV isn't an out of the box,
plug and play solution. If it were, it would merely have the
functionality of a replayTV box.

I set up my remote with the appropriate key bindings to do everything
that needs to be done by an average user. Now my 8 year old can watch
Live TV, recorded programs, videos and DVDs. She still has a problem
with the MythMusic interface, so she doesn't use that. But my 14 year
old can do all that plus schedule recordings.

For their sake, I modified the menus to put Watch Recordings on the
first screen, removed the Phone menu option since we don't use it,
changed Optical Discs to Play DVD/CD and I can't even remember what
it used to say to get to the scheduler, but I renamed that to say
"Pick Recordings". I wouldn't suggest these changes become default
because they aren't accurate, but *I* know what's in the menus so
it's ok.

And for those that don't want to RTFM, there's always Tivo. ;) Oh.. I
even had to RTFM to get wireless working on that thing. <grumble>
Stupid software update via phone line before it would recognize the
adaptor. So glad I don't have it any more. </grumble>