[mythtv] Simplifying the instalation? (everyone wants that!) - ideas for thought

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 16 04:30:45 UTC 2005

Buzz wrote:

>What about having "recommended" or "common" configurations?
>
>1) single PC - everything installed,run and stored locally.
>
>2) single backend system  - backend+tuners+lirc+database+web+filesystem all
>on one host.  "basic" frontend on other host/s (as many as desired, often
>just one) running GUI/mythfrontend+plugins only.

LIRC won't do any good on a backend.  LIRC is for controlling the
frontend (i.e. for controlling the playback of recordings/execution of
plugins).  The user doesn't interact with the backend--instead he/she
interacts with a frontend ("the" frontend (mythfrontend) or MythWeb or
something), which interacts with the backend.

>3) minor deviations from (2) eg: lirc on frontend,

Already covered that one...  ;)

> (extra) tuner/s in frontend,

That would make the frontend into a combined frontend/backend (since
backends have the capture cards).

>What other common instalations are out there....?

The way I see it, there are only three:

Backend only (capture cards, "no" display)
Frontend only (display, no capture cards)
Combined Frontend/Backend (display and capture cards)

You can have as many of the above three as you like.  In addition, you
need a database on the network somewhere and one or more filesystems
(either local or on the network).  To run MythWeb, you need a web server.

>What about a Wizard configuration tool?... (for common configurations)

That sounds a lot like the KnoppMyth installer to me... (
http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html )

Mike