[mythtv] HD-3000 and changes from 18.1 to SVN

Taylor Ralph tralph11 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 02:40:13 UTC 2005

--- Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:

> The issue is that either video or audio has got to
> be adjusted in order
> to keep them in sync with one another.  Turning on
> "Use video as
> timebase" is saying you want to adjust the audio to
> match what the video
> is doing.  For normal audio, it's easy to insert or
> remove a few samples
> to make it play longer or shorter.  Any similar
> "adjustment" of the
> encoded AC3 audio data simply corrupts it.
>
> The only solution would be for Myth to decode,
> adjust, and re-encode the
> AC3 audio.  But there's no code to do this.
>
> -Doug

Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense. Might
be good to add a note in the setup when turning on
"Use Video as Timebase" that it is incompatible with
AC3 passthrough. I'm assuming more and more people
will won't to use AC3 passthrough as HD adoption
increases. Sounds like decoding, adjusting, reencoding
would be more effort than it's worth.

Now if I want to use AC3 passthrough, which I do, then
I'm stuck with using the audio as timebase. Then my
question is do you have to use video as timebase for
xvmc to work right? Or should it work with audio as
timebase? It's just 720p recordings that seem to give
me problems when using audio for timebase and it seems
to only happen after a pause or skip. Any ideas?

Software decoding is working great for me, but since I
use the box for pretty much everything it would be
nice to have a solution that used less CPU. I guess I
could always add a faster CPU. Thanks.

--
Taylor