[mythtv] HD-3000 and changes from 18.1 to SVN

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Oct 27 23:15:48 UTC 2005

Taylor Ralph wrote:
> The
> reason I disabled using video as timebase was due to
> an issue using it and AC3 passthrough together. Using
> both of these options caused only a few bleeps of
> sound every second or so to be processed on my
> receiver yet the video played back smoothly. This
> happened on either sound chipset I used too. Anyone
> else having an issue using both?

The issue is that either video or audio has got to be adjusted in order
to keep them in sync with one another.  Turning on "Use video as
timebase" is saying you want to adjust the audio to match what the video
is doing.  For normal audio, it's easy to insert or remove a few samples
to make it play longer or shorter.  Any similar "adjustment" of the
encoded AC3 audio data simply corrupts it.

The only solution would be for Myth to decode, adjust, and re-encode the
AC3 audio.  But there's no code to do this.

-Doug