[mythtv] Can't scan or tune DVB-T in UK

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue May 3 14:21:24 UTC 2005

Gareth Powell wrote:
> I'm trying to get MythTV up and running, and after a number of
> problems, I think I'm nearly there.
>
> I'm using MythTV 0.18+ out of CVS from about a week ago (although I'm
> happy to upgrade if it will help) on an i386 with basically FC2, but
> I've added all the prerequisite RPMs and I've got the 2.6.11+ kraxel1
> patches.
>
> I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T card with the cx88-dvb module.
> xawtv displays video, but pops up a box saying "can't play audio
> stream".  It's not clear if it can't tune it, or simply can't find the
> audio card.  Since I didn't want to use xawtv, but mythtv, I just moved
> on.
>
> With MythTV, I can't scan channels.  I've been able to set up the card,
> and it seems to recognize it.  When I run mythtv-setup and attempt to
> automatically tune in the channels, it doesn't work.  I get three bars
> telling me I have signal strength of 16% and SNR of 75%, which doesn't
> sound good, but as I say, it's enough for xawtv to tune in all the
> stations.
>
> I downloaded dvbsnoop which I'd seen referred to in a couple of other
> posts.  After a long wait, I got output from it once, but lost it in
> that window.  Since then, I can't get any output from it at all.  I was
> running it as:
>
> # dvbsnoop -n 1 600
>
> where 600 is the video pid of BBC ONE.
>
> For reference, I am tuning to Winter Hill, generally using the channel
> frequency 754166670.  This works for xawtv and dvbtune.
>
> # dvbtune -f 754166670 gives this output:
> Using DVB card "Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T"
> tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 754166670 Hz
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS:
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
> polling....
> Getting frontend event
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> FE_HAS_SYNC
> Bit error rate: 0
> Signal strength: 10537
> SNR: 65535
> FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> FE_HAS_SYNC
>
> Any help appreciated ...

Just a short note to say that I have had similar issues with
MythTv CVS 2005-04-22. I cannot offer a direct solution but
somehow I got around it (not sure how ...).
It may be I tuned manually using dvbscan (aborted when finding
PID's on appropriate frequency), then used mythth-setup to
scan the channels. It may be that the current version of MythTv
does not tune to the frequency you enter in the frequency box ...

Terry