[mythtv] Can't scan or tune DVB-T in UK

John Pullan jmp at tarantella.com
Tue May 3 14:42:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 15:21 +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Gareth Powell wrote:
> > I'm trying to get MythTV up and running, and after a number of
> > problems, I think I'm nearly there.
> >
> > I'm using MythTV 0.18+ out of CVS from about a week ago (although I'm
> > happy to upgrade if it will help) on an i386 with basically FC2, but
> > I've added all the prerequisite RPMs and I've got the 2.6.11+ kraxel1
> > patches.
> >
> > I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T card with the cx88-dvb module.
> > xawtv displays video, but pops up a box saying "can't play audio
> > stream".  It's not clear if it can't tune it, or simply can't find the
> > audio card.  Since I didn't want to use xawtv, but mythtv, I just moved
> > on.
> >
> > With MythTV, I can't scan channels.  I've been able to set up the card,
> > and it seems to recognize it.  When I run mythtv-setup and attempt to
> > automatically tune in the channels, it doesn't work.  I get three bars
> > telling me I have signal strength of 16% and SNR of 75%, which doesn't
> > sound good, but as I say, it's enough for xawtv to tune in all the
> > stations.
> >
> > I downloaded dvbsnoop which I'd seen referred to in a couple of other
> > posts.  After a long wait, I got output from it once, but lost it in
> > that window.  Since then, I can't get any output from it at all.  I was
> > running it as:
> >
> > # dvbsnoop -n 1 600
> >
> > where 600 is the video pid of BBC ONE.
> >
> > For reference, I am tuning to Winter Hill, generally using the channel
> > frequency 754166670.  This works for xawtv and dvbtune.
> >
> > # dvbtune -f 754166670 gives this output:
> > Using DVB card "Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T"
> > tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 754166670 Hz
> > polling....
> > Getting frontend event
> > FE_STATUS:
> > polling....
> > Getting frontend event
> > FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
> > polling....
> > Getting frontend event
> > FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> > FE_HAS_SYNC
> > Bit error rate: 0
> > Signal strength: 10537
> > SNR: 65535
> > FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
> > FE_HAS_SYNC
> >
> > Any help appreciated ...
<snip>

> Just a short note to say that I have had similar issues with
> MythTv CVS 2005-04-22. I cannot offer a direct solution but
> somehow I got around it (not sure how ...).
> It may be I tuned manually using dvbscan (aborted when finding
> PID's on appropriate frequency), then used mythth-setup to
> scan the channels. It may be that the current version of MythTv
> does not tune to the frequency you enter in the frequency box ...

<snip>

This should be on -users but anyway,

Make sure you fill out as many of the parameters as possible in the
scanner. So that would be (from memory)

754166670 , bandwidth 8 inversion off Constellation 16, lp 2/3 hp 3/4 ,
guard_interval 1/32, transmit 2 hierarchy none, It does work, cos I'm on
the same transmitter.