[mythtv] Can't scan or tune DVB-T in UK

Gareth Powell gmmapowell at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 14:12:07 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get MythTV up and running, and after a number of
problems, I think I'm nearly there.

I'm using MythTV 0.18+ out of CVS from about a week ago (although I'm
happy to upgrade if it will help) on an i386 with basically FC2, but
I've added all the prerequisite RPMs and I've got the 2.6.11+ kraxel1
patches.

I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T card with the cx88-dvb module.
xawtv displays video, but pops up a box saying "can't play audio
stream".  It's not clear if it can't tune it, or simply can't find the
audio card.  Since I didn't want to use xawtv, but mythtv, I just moved
on.

With MythTV, I can't scan channels.  I've been able to set up the card,
and it seems to recognize it.  When I run mythtv-setup and attempt to
automatically tune in the channels, it doesn't work.  I get three bars
telling me I have signal strength of 16% and SNR of 75%, which doesn't
sound good, but as I say, it's enough for xawtv to tune in all the
stations.

I downloaded dvbsnoop which I'd seen referred to in a couple of other
posts.  After a long wait, I got output from it once, but lost it in
that window.  Since then, I can't get any output from it at all.  I was
running it as:

# dvbsnoop -n 1 600

where 600 is the video pid of BBC ONE.

For reference, I am tuning to Winter Hill, generally using the channel
frequency 754166670.  This works for xawtv and dvbtune.

# dvbtune -f 754166670 gives this output:
Using DVB card "Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 754166670 Hz
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 0
Signal strength: 10537
SNR: 65535
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC

Any help appreciated ...