[mythtv] mythweb updates always need to mkdir php_sessions

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 23:25:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 03:57:59PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >Generally in this type of situation, I use a browser cookie that
> >contains a single number : the identity field of a table in a
> >database.  Then I store user preferences and everything in the
> >database.
>
> You say you're a web developer...  this is what PHP does, but all
> internally.  you just interact with one variable and it handles
> dealing with the id-cookie, etc.  By default, it writes to files in
> /tmp -- in mythweb, I tell it to write to the php_sessions because
> /tmp occasionally gets wiped.

That sounds odd (or maybe not). FWIW, I think the convention is that
stuff in /tmp is not guaranteed to survive a reboot (hence, many
UNIXes use "tmpfs" or some swap-like "fs" for /tmp). "Temporary" stuff
that should survive a reboot is "supposed" to go under /var (/var/tmp,
etc.), but then that software is supposed to be responsible for
cleaning up after itself.

--Rob