[mythtv] OpenCable and TS mode patch

Keith Irwin kirwin at ncsu.edu
Sat Jun 11 19:39:21 UTC 2005

The background story:
I was having problems with audio on some pure QAM channels and ATSC
channels included in the QAM stream.  I checked with Taylor Jacob to
see if he was seeing the same problems as I was since we're in the same
area and hence are working off of the same cable feed.  He suggested
that I check to make sure that I was using the TS mode rather than PS.
I actually thought that I had set TS mode, but it turned out that I
hadn't.  Once I switched over the audio worked peachily, but video
didn't work at all on a couple of the channels.  Further correspondence
with him revealed that the problem was that the OpenCable standard
identifies MPEG-2 video differently than the ATSC standard.  With that
fixed, everything works fine for me.  Because of the known audio bug
and also Taylor Jacob's statement to me that the TS code is in much
better shape than the PS code, I suggested that the default be changed
to TS rather than PS.  So I've put together a patch.  He's really the
one responsible for the fix, I just did the actual code changing, which
wasn't hardly anything in this case.

What the patch does:
It adds 0x80 to the switch statement which causes MythTV to recognize
streams coded 0x80 (as OpenCable does) as being MPEG-2 video when the
transport stream option is turned on.
It adds a very brief comment to the two options in the switch statement
identifying which comes from ATSC and which from OpenCable.
It changes the default setting upon database creation or upgrade to
have the use TS option be set on by default.

What the patch does not do:
It -does not- update the database version or elsewise force an upgrade,
so it will not change new DVB cards inserted into an existing system.
The change is not a significant change to the database schema, and it
seems a bit much to force an upgrade simply for this single change.
The change will be implemented on existing systems whenever the next
database version increment occurs.
It -does not- change existing user settings from PS mode to TS mode
ever.
It -does not- disable PS mode in any way, just turns it off by default
for new cards.

Hopefully this will help make QAM channels a tiny bit easier for at
least some new users.

Keith Irwin