[mythtv] mpeg2-ps files from mythtv

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sat Jan 29 16:22:22 EST 2005

mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
> I removed the PS headers from the transformation process because most
> players don't need them and they were incorrect anyway. So the result
> is no longer a pseudo program stream, but a stream of more or less
> well muxed PES.

Ok, i suspected there was a reason for it.

>     Torbjörn> But i do know that one way that windows uses to identify
>     Torbjörn> the file as mpeg2-ps is to read the fist 5 bytes,
>     Torbjörn> bitwise and with FFFFFFFFC0 and then check if it's
>     Torbjörn> 000001BA40 So it makes sense that it can't recognize the
>     Torbjörn> file, don't know it that matters or not.
>
> That is a very narrow minded way to check for a PS.

The mpeg2 demuxer filter in windows probably does a lot more to figure out
if it can play the stream or not.
What i described was just how it determines the media type, the windows
demuxer filter probably accepts the stream even without a proper mediatype.
and then scans the stream.

>     Torbjörn> It woud be nice to not have to run every recording thru
>     Torbjörn> replex to make it play.
>
> It would be better to store the recordings in their original transport
> stream format anyway, so that you won' lose so much information. In
> that case you would also need replex to make a TS, or maybe your
> player can play transport streams.
>
> Marcus

You're probably right.
Previously it was not posibel to record TS streams with dvb card, but maybe
this is fixed now with the latest dvb changes?