[mythtv] Memory - mythcommflag?

M Smith quaffapint at clippersoft.net
Mon Jan 17 22:26:18 EST 2005

M Smith wrote:

> I upgraded to the latest CVS as of 01-15-2005.  All seems to work
> fine.  The one troubling point is that my system in every short time
> (recently right after a reboot) is having all it's 512MB of memory
> sucked out to 3MB.
>
> This has been occuring after my latest CVS update - prior to that I
> was using a CVS from mid-late December.  I did no other system
> updates. Just now, I rebooted, and when the system came back up, the
> only thing really doing any processor time (I had no shows being
> recorded) was mythcommflag. At the same time I saw my free physical
> memory get eaten from around 300+MB down to 3MB in very short order.
> It also does not seem to get released when mythcommflag stops, nor
> when I stop mythbackend and/or exit mythfrontend.  I looked in the
> mythbackend.log file and saw nothing that seemed to point to anything
> memory related.
>
> I'm not sure what to post to assist in debugging the issue - just let
> me know and I'll pass it along.
>
> Thank you again for the help...
> Matt

In bad form I'm replying to my own message - I found another message in
the list which I didn't think pertained, but maybe it does. This might
be my misunderstanding of how Linux uses memory,  here's my free display....

             total           used         free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:    513928     492364      21564          0       1480     389656
-/+ buffers/cache:   101228     412700
Swap:       795176          0     795176

...If I read this correctly, it sounds like there's actually 412MB free
to applications, and 101MB in use, which obviously is fine.  So, I guess
there's no issue, I just thought when I looked at the System Info in
Myth before that there was much more free RAM listed.

Thanks...
Matt