[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

David Härdeman david at 2gen.com
Mon Aug 30 16:59:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 04:05:37PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>On Monday 30 August 2004 03:42 pm, David Härdeman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after the initial support patch which I've sent to the list I've now
>> been looking at the code which creates/updates the tables in the
>> mythtv module (libs/libsmythtv/dbcheck.*).
>>
><snip>
>> Does this sound like a good idea? I wouldn't want to start coding on an
>> implementation just to have it rejected which is why I'm presenting this
>> idea to the mailing list for review first.
>
>Sounds like a horrible idea to me.  The 'duplicate' implementation is a few
>simple lines of code that doesn't need to be consolidated, and I will _not_
>update multiple files every schema change.

Fine, so don't update the psql file, just update the mysql one and I'm
sure that someone that cares for postgresql can update the corresponding
pgsql soon thereafter. Worst case scenario is that PostgreSQL support is
broken for a period of time. Would this be an acceptable compromise?

>I will not add support for other databases if it makes the current internal
>database usage any harder to use.  I see absolutely no benefit in doing that.

I fail to see how my suggestion would make internal database usage
harder? Is updating a separate file with SQL queries harder than updating
a .cpp file with SQL queries?

//David