[mythtv] More ideas on PostgreSQL support, comments welcome

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Aug 30 17:49:23 EDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 04:59 pm, David Härdeman wrote:
> >Sounds like a horrible idea to me.  The 'duplicate' implementation is a
> > few simple lines of code that doesn't need to be consolidated, and I will
> > _not_ update multiple files every schema change.
>
> Fine, so don't update the psql file, just update the mysql one and I'm
> sure that someone that cares for postgresql can update the corresponding
> pgsql soon thereafter. Worst case scenario is that PostgreSQL support is
> broken for a period of time. Would this be an acceptable compromise?

No, I wouldn't really consider that's acceptable at all.  What happens when I
want to make a release and the postgresql support isn't updated?

> >I will not add support for other databases if it makes the current
> > internal database usage any harder to use.  I see absolutely no benefit
> > in doing that.
>
> I fail to see how my suggestion would make internal database usage
> harder? Is updating a separate file with SQL queries harder than updating
> a .cpp file with SQL queries?

It's not harder, but it's a large step backwards, IMO.  It's one more thing to
keep track of, and one more thing that can possibly break.

If multiple databases can't be supported without extra work for me down the
road, then there won't be support for multiple databases.  I don't see the
benefit in it.

Isaac