[mythtv] 'recommendations' section

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 13 19:30:45 EDT 2003

This patch is version 0.001 of a 'recommendations' section for
myth.

It isn't totally refined yet, and certainly isn't perfect, but I'd be
happy if others were interested in trying it out and seeing how well
it does for them.  Release early, release often.

A few things..  The patch is made off of current CVS.  I haven't
added the code to cvs.sql that is needed (it's a bit of a pain to
keep the numbers up to date if others clobber my numbers before this
gets committed), but I'm including it here.

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS recommend
(
    chanid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
    starttime TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
    endtime TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
    title VARCHAR(128) NULL,
    subtitle VARCHAR(128) NULL,
    description TEXT NULL,
    category VARCHAR(64) NULL,
    category_type VARCHAR(64) NULL,
    airdate YEAR NOT NULL,
    stars FLOAT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
    previouslyshown TINYINT NOT NULL default '0',
    worth double,
    PRIMARY KEY (chanid, starttime),
    INDEX (endtime),
    INDEX (title)
);

There are four new files that are also attached, along with the patch.
The top lines of the patch tell where they go.

The recommendations are currently being calculated when new data
is downloaded from the web.  (I have about a million ideas of where
I want to eventually go with this, but "release early..."..  Once
have patched and reinstalled everything, you can force it to
calculate recommendations for you by running

mythfilldatabase --onlyrecommend

To access this in the GUI, go to TV | Schedule Recordings and there
will be a new option to View Recommendations.   They are sorted by what
it thinks you will like the best.  You can then select one and choose
to record it.

This release is basically to get it out there.  Like I said, I have
a lot of things planned.  Refinements to the "brain", enhancements
to the gui, optional autorecording of recommendations with settings,
collaborative filtering (eventually) etc. etc..  release early;
release often..

But, the road to anywhere begins with a single step.  So, feel free and
play with it.  My only requirement is that give me useful feedback.  :)

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute