[mythtv] Conflicting or not?

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Thu Nov 13 00:55:05 EST 2003

I'm looking at gracefully handling the case where more than one
scheduled recording covers the same program, e.g. a TimeSlotRecord was
created for one showing and a ChannelRecord was created later for
another showing.  The current code treats them as conflicting meaning
the scheduler could defer recording to another showing even if there
are no other conflicts.  I don't think this is right.

My initial thinking was that the most specific scheduled recording
should take precendence.  In the example above, the TimeSlotRecord
would win out over the ChannelRecord.  It then occurred to me that the
ranking system provides another way of arbitrating between the two.
The problem with using the ranking is that the result could still end
in a tie.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on how to proceed.  At the moment,
I see 4 plasuible approaches.

1. Use RecordingType only (most specific wins).
2. Use rankings, and if equal, leave as conflicting.
3. Use rankings, and if equal, fall back to RecordingType.
4. Just leave them as conflicting.

David
--
David Engel