[mythtv] Preview of a new theme

Tobias Blomberg blomman at ludd.luth.se
Sun Nov 9 05:52:38 EST 2003

On Saturday 08 November 2003 17.55, Oscar Carlsson wrote:
>> I  noticed  that  the strings for all translated text which contains a
>> space
>> has   been   truncated  (e.g.  "Musikspelarens"  should  be
>> "Musikspelarens
>> inställningar").  Did you do this on purpose or did
>> Myth do this because the strings are too long for the theme ?
>
> The  strings are to long. Better would be "Musikinställningar".. It already
> says "Spelinställningar"..  Would  be  nice  if you could look at those. In
> the music settings, it also says "Inställningar för ..." wich also is way
> to long.
>
> "Filminställningar" and "Väderinställningar" would also be better.

This was my first thought as well. The problem is "Väderinställningar"
(=Weather Settings); it is not the weather we are setting up (I wish I could
some times ;-), it is the weather viewer. It just sounds bad and it is not
correct. The same thing could be said for "Musikinställningar" (=Music
Settings) and "Filminställningar" (=Movie Settings), but these are not as bad
as the "weather settings" thing. As for "Spelinställningar" (=Game Settings)
it actually is the games we are setting up so this is correct. Well, hmmm, if
I think about it, it's actually the game engines we are setting up...

And the "Inställningar för..." (=Settings for...); if we would change it to
"Avspelningsinställningar" (=Playback Settings), this word is too long for
the default theme, which is my reference. However, if it is split as above,
Myth will automatically insert a row break which make it look nice again.

And also, have you checked out how the other translations look in your theme ?
The translated strings are almost always longer than in English.

As you can see, it is not a trivial problem :-/

/ Tobias