[mythtv] Preview of a new theme

Oscar Carlsson oscar.carlsson at home.se
Tue Nov 11 14:05:48 EST 2003

>>> I  noticed  that  the strings for all translated text which contains a space
>>> has   been   truncated  (e.g.  "Musikspelarens"  should  be  "Musikspelarens
>>> inställningar").  Did you do this on purpose or did Myth do this because the
>>> strings are too long for the theme ?
>>
>> The  strings are to long. Better would be "Musikinställningar".. It already
>> says "Spelinställningar"..  Would  be  nice  if you could look at those. In
>> the music settings, it also says "Inställningar för ..." wich also is way
>> to long.
>>
>> "Filminställningar" and "Väderinställningar" would also be better.

TB> This was my first thought as well. The problem is "Väderinställningar"
TB> (=Weather Settings); it is not the weather we are setting up (I wish I could
TB> some times ;-), it is the weather viewer. It just sounds bad and it is not
TB> correct. The same thing could be said for "Musikinställningar" (=Music
TB> Settings) and "Filminställningar" (=Movie Settings), but these are not as bad
TB> as the "weather settings" thing. As for "Spelinställningar" (=Game Settings)
TB> it actually is the games we are setting up so this is correct. Well, hmmm, if
TB> I think about it, it's actually the game engines we are setting up...

TB> And the "Inställningar för..." (=Settings for...); if we would change it to
TB> "Avspelningsinställningar" (=Playback Settings), this word is too long for
TB> the default theme, which is my reference. However, if it is split as above,
TB> Myth will automatically insert a row break which make it look nice again.

TB> And also, have you checked out how the other translations look in your theme ?
TB> The translated strings are almost always longer than in English.

TB> As you can see, it is not a trivial problem :-/

What  about  just  using  "MythMusic", "MythVideo" and so on in the settings? Or
just  make it look the same as the main screen, with my theme it's quite obvious
that you're at the setup screen..

Experimenting  with  having  six  items  that  is  very  wide  to allow for long
translated strings. I'll see how it feels.

--
Best regards,
 Oscar                            mailto:oscar.carlsson at home.se