Teletext (was: [mythtv] MythTV Recording System Future)

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 24 09:07:56 EDT 2003

At 23-7-2003 22:50, Martin Moeller wrote:
>ALL subtitle pages are stores in the stream, just pick
> > the page you want during play. For BBC this means it all works by
> itself as
> > they only have one subtitle 'stream' per channel.
>I see, so the subtitle pages are 'not like other pages' then?
> >From what I can see, BBC Prime supports (although probably not always)
>subtitles in Danish, Swedish, etc... and English language in separate
>88x pages. How would that reflect in the data stream?

I had a look at my original source in NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp (can't look
at current CVS from here because that port is blocked by our firewall).

--------- snip ---------
static void vbi_event(struct VBIData *data, struct vt_event *ev)
             if (vtp->flags & PG_SUBTITLE)
             {
                 //printf("subtitle page %x.%x\n", vtp->pgno, vtp->subno);
                 data->foundteletextpage = true;
--------- snip ---------

This is what sets a subtitle page apart. It has to be marked in some way,
because it is shows differently (black box overlayed on screen, no header).

On playback I intented to build a list of ll pages coming along, and with
the 'T'-key toggle through all options (including 'none'). For 90% of the
channels this means you have only an on/off option, for the other ones by
definition all languages are stored in the stream. I did not see any reason
to select the language on recording :-)

I did have code doing exactly that working back then, but CVS went to fast
for me and synching became a nightmare. I had a look for you to have the
code, but I'm afraid I threw it all away :-(

Erik