[mythtv] Question about finding to-be-recorded programs

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Fri Jul 11 21:21:03 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 07:03:46PM -0500, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:18:18 -0500, "David Engel dlengel-at-attbi.com
> > recordstatus: Indicates whether or not the program will be recorded.
> > This would normally be set automatically when a record entry is set or
> > new programs are added to the table.  It could be manually changed by
> > the user from the program guide, resolve conflicts, etc.
>
> As Isaac said, putting this in the program table would be tricky because
> of the mythfilldatabase issue (it could be worked around by having
> mythfilldatabase evaluate the record table after every fill, but that is
> nasty.

OK.  Is that for efficiency reasons, i.e. mythfilldatabase does a
blind, but quick, replace instead of a much slower merge?  I'm no
database expert (they always put me to sleep) so pardon my ignorance
in this area.  I haven't looked at mythfilldatabase at all yet.  How
nasty would such a merge be?

> You could split this into   yet another specialized table like
> 'proposedrecordings' which maps the record table to the program table,
> and include this info.  The problem is keeping it in sync.  In theory

Which is why I figured the program table was the right place for this.

> I think this would be easier to do by just adding info to the record
> table.  Whenever a user overrides a program that would normally not be
> recorded, just add it as a single recording in the record table.

That would work as far as getting the program recorded, but would lead
to other undesirable results.  For example, the just added "Number of
recent episodes to keep" support would be adversely affected.
Whatever is done, I think it would be desirable to keee the overridden
episodes tied together with the parent record entry.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel at attbi.com