[mythtv] Question about finding to-be-recorded programs

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sat Jul 12 20:55:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 08:21:03PM -0500, David Engel wrote:

> OK.  Is that for efficiency reasons, i.e. mythfilldatabase does a
> blind, but quick, replace instead of a much slower merge?  I'm no
> database expert (they always put me to sleep) so pardon my ignorance
> in this area.  I haven't looked at mythfilldatabase at all yet.  How
> nasty would such a merge be?

Presumably just because it's much, much simpler to handle all cases this
way.  A full merge gets rather tricky.

(of course, you're free to prove me wrong)

> > I think this would be easier to do by just adding info to the record
> > table.  Whenever a user overrides a program that would normally not be
> > recorded, just add it as a single recording in the record table.
>
> That would work as far as getting the program recorded, but would lead to
> other undesirable results.  For example, the just added "Number of recent
> episodes to keep" support would be adversely affected.  Whatever is done,
> I think it would be desirable to keee the overridden episodes tied
> together with the parent record entry.

I think this belongs in a separate 'recordoverride' table.  The only trick,
as I mentioned in my previous message, is to match specific instances of
programs.  Currently, those do not have unique identifiers at all, much less
persistent ones.  We can either match by chanid/starttime/endtime/title or
such, or else create some kind of persistent identifier.

--
 - mdz