[mythtv] Hardware Questions

Mike Wohlgemuth mjw at woogie.net
Mon Jan 20 09:35:54 EST 2003

I'm looking at building a MythTV box, and I have 2 questions (well, I'm
sure I have more, but these are the 2 that stand out right now).

1.  Any opinions on the Hauppauge WinTV-Theater card?  As far as I can
tell from my research, all features of the card, including the FM
receiver and surround out, are supported under Linux.  I understand the
FM receiver won't work with MythTV, but it looks like everything else
should.  I'd just like to double check before I spend any money.

2.  I've seen several sites that say I should avoid using the TV out on
my video card and get a VGA to NTSC converter instead.  Is this a
generally held opinion?  Are there any video cards with good TV out that
I should get.  On the other hand, are there cards with particularly bad
TV out that I should avoid?

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Woogie