[mythtv] archiving to dvd

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at gorpe.com
Sat Dec 6 09:19:07 EST 2003

Kevin Elliott wrote:

>>Great feature idea!!
>>
>>But wouldn't it be even better if the recordings data followed the file
>>somehow, almost like a tag, but an extra file, so all formats is
>>supported (*.mythinfo). And within that file where the details of the
>>recording that where exported. Although this would be something more
>>elaborate than what you are implying, but would be more feature-full, if
>>one could specify multiple *archive* locations that would be searched
>>after the main location...
>>

>>>Is anyone else doing something similar already?
>>>

>>Not to my recollection, no..
>>

>Might I suggest something like mythinfo-metadata.xml to describe all
>files in the current directory? Or perhaps filenameofvideo-mythinfo.xml?
>It would be appropriate for the extension to identify the file type, and
>sticking with xml makes that data much more useful for utility programs
>(i.e. generating archive reports, etc). Just my 2 cents.

I've been kicking around the idea of a DVD/CD recording / archiving tool
for Myth.  The tool would either create a standard DVD with menus, or a
MythDVD/CD that's nothing more than the video / audio files (psosibly
games an  other fieles as well?) with an xml file containing the
metadata for the files.  With the MediaHandler stuff in place, inserting
a MythDVD/CD into the machine would bring up a nice themed menu with the
contents of the disk and allow you to play / view the contents....

Right now I've only investigated the recording tools side of things and
done some very basic design.