[mythtv] i18n and mythweather conflict with locale setting

Leandro Dardini ldardini at tiscali.it
Mon Apr 21 20:40:47 EDT 2003

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: ramon.roca at xcombo.com 
  To: mythtv-dev at snowman.net 
  Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 6:08 PM
  Subject: [mythtv] i18n and mythweather conflict with locale setting

  Having started with translation to spanish and catalan, I have found that there is a conflict with the locale setting:

  -i18n uses it to figure out the language.
  -mythweather uses it to store the station to get the data from.

  I would suggest that the best would be to change the value used for i18n to "language" instead of locale, and to "station" in mythweather: That will provide a clear idea about its data, and also add a dialog on the setup to choose the language for i18n will be nice. 
  However I would like to hear from the autors to see what they think.

  About the i18n status, I've found that is still quite preliminar and incomplete, right now is not just a matter of translating literals at the .ts file, still changes to the code is needed in many parts of mythtv (all those that cointains literals)....

  For not doing it twice... I want to ask also to their authors about the plans for completing this. I could contribute if I get directions.



  mythtv-dev mailing list
  mythtv-dev at snowman.net

Sorry for using a setting variable already used in settings by mythweather. I don't bother to check if it was already used. "Language" seem to be a good replacement.

Yes, internationalization is a simple addition of some tr( .. ) to the literals of the code. As far as I can see, I think it can be enough... what else do you want to localize?

Actually, the main problem is the ui.xml file. I try to solve adding a ui_it.xml but togheter with Isaac we look at it as a ugly and unpraticable solution on the long term. When we'll have a lots of language, applying a patch to ui.xml will turn in applying a lots of patch, one for each language. I am looking to include language translation directly in the ui.xml file, but I am pretty new to xml and c++ programming so it'll take some time... I hope you'll be better than me in writing code, submitting a patch to let us using something like:

<textarea name="disingray" draworder="0">
        <value>Deactivated recordings are highlighted in</value>
        <value lang="IT">Le registrazioni disattivate sono evidenziate in</value>
        <value lang="SP">Los grabacion disactive esta...</value>

Something similar to the menu .xml file 

     <text lang="IT">Musica</text>
     <text lang="SP">Mùsica</text>
     <action>EXEC mythmusic</action>

In the meantime I am thinking about tuning channel from inside mythtv and to rewrite my manual recording patch to something includeable in the cvs.

Leandro-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /pipermail/attachments/20030421/c1c78315/attachment.htm

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list