[mythtv] Feature Idea: Closed caption extraction and text search, skip to quote

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:18:24 -0500

On Monday 04 November 2002 12:10 pm, Dan Schwarz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just found this project and mailing list through a link on Slashdot.
> Looks great and I can't wait to put some hardware together and try it out!
>
> Does mythtv support closed captioned text? If so, I wonder if anyone has
> considered implementing this feature:
>
> Extract the closed caption text from each program and store it along
> with appropriate index information in a text file.
>
> Then, implement a text search feature that will find all occurrances of
> a word or phrase and display them in a list along with the program name
> and time the phrase appeared.  Selecting an occurance will start playing
> the  program and scene from that point.
>
> As far as I know, no PVR has anything like this. It would make it easy
> to find your favorite quote from a movie, jump ahead to the Weather
> forecast in today's news broadcast, etc.
>
> One could also extract and view or email a complete program summary
> based on the closed caption text.
>
> What do you think?

I've thought about doing this, actually.  I just haven't had time yet. I do
think it'd be an excellent feature, though, so if anyone wants to do it....
=)

Also -- don't catch what someone said in a show, seek back, turn on the CC
display, etc, would be fairly neat.

Isaac