[mythtv] Feature Idea: Closed caption extraction and text search, skip to quote

Dan Schwarz mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:10:22 -0500

Hello,

Just found this project and mailing list through a link on Slashdot.
Looks great and I can't wait to put some hardware together and try it out!

Does mythtv support closed captioned text? If so, I wonder if anyone has
considered implementing this feature:

Extract the closed caption text from each program and store it along
with appropriate index information in a text file.

Then, implement a text search feature that will find all occurrances of
a word or phrase and display them in a list along with the program name
and time the phrase appeared.  Selecting an occurance will start playing
the  program and scene from that point.

As far as I know, no PVR has anything like this. It would make it easy
to find your favorite quote from a movie, jump ahead to the Weather
forecast in today's news broadcast, etc.

One could also extract and view or email a complete program summary
based on the closed caption text.

What do you think?

Dan Schwarz
http://www.winecentric.com/wiki/