[mythtv] Which Distro?

Tony Clark mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:51:23 +0100

On Monday 23 December 2002 21.39, mark@zzo.com wrote:
> Tony Clark(tclark@telia.com)@2002.12.23 20:26:09 +0000:
> > Watching tv pushes it up for sure.  I can dual boot RH and Gentoo on this
> > box so I may do some tests but I don't think it will be much different.
> > I just perfer Gentoo :)
>
> agreed.  what's yer target bitrate & quality settings?  it seems when
> I watch live tv thru mythtv it doesn't look as sharp as 'real' live TV
> no matter how high I bump up the bitrate & quality settings mpeg4.
> Am very interested to use the YUV decoder to see what the best possible
> picture I can get looks like when that stuff gets put in.
>     Mark

# What codec to use?  Tested values are rtjpeg (the default) and mpeg4
str Codec=mpeg4
#
# I normally use 640x480 with the mpeg4 codec and the below settings.
#
#
# RTjpeg specific settings
#
# Quality level to capture at (higher better, 255 being best)
int Quality=170
# Motion Levels (lower better, 0 being best)
int LumaFilter=0
int ChromaFilter=0
#
# MPEG4 specific settings
#
# Desired bitrate, in bits/second.  2200 means about a gigabyte an hour.
int TargetBitrate=2200

I'm not sure when watching live TV if it is using mpeg4.  Could be I guess as
the cpu goes up to around 70%  For me the picture quality is fine but I have
really done AB tests with say xawtv.

tony

--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.