[mythtv] FYI: Cheap Stereo TV card with remote

Emil Friis mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:09:27 -0800 (PST)

No, I never actually tried it in Windows. I dual boot, but
never did install the drivers. From what I gather it is more
a question of bad shielding of the tuner. If you compare the
Pinnacle and AverTV tuner casing the Pinnacle looks a lot
smaller and 'flimsier'.

This was with a standard PCTV, so I don't know if the Pro is
better...

i don't think I'll buy a new card because eventually I hope
to be able to use both my Matrox G400 w. Rainbow Runner and
my Iomega Buz for hardware-mjpeg. The Rainbow Runner with
the cable for the analog channels and the Iomega together
with my digital cable box for all of them. Who knows - maybe
I'll be able to use my 900MHz T-Bird.

-Emil

Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

> Thanks for the warning Emil.  I will definitely check the
> return policy.
>
> Did you try it under Windows by any chance?  That's where
> she'll be
> using it.
>
> On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 06:21, Emil Friis wrote:
> > A word of warning...
> > I bought the Pinnacle PCTV with remote (not the Pro) at
> > CompUSA for $30 after rebates some time ago as a second
> > tuner card. It didn't take long before I yanked it out of
> > the machine again because I seemed to get a really lousy
> > picture. At first I thought it was interference between
the
> > two cards and even tried moving them around in the slots,
> > but no improvement. On top of that it didn't seem to
> support
> > btaudio - or at least I couldn't get it to work.
> >
> > Last night I tried it out again because of the "I want a
> > Clear Picture" thread and compared to my other card the
> > quality of the Pinnacle capture seemed horrible. So if
> > nothing else make sure you can return it if the capture
> > quality is not good enough for you.
> >
> > My other card is actually the AverMedia AverTV Stereo -
> also
> > from CompUSA and it works really well at least when
> compared
> > to the Pinnacle card. My only problem with that card -
> which
> > took me most of a week to solve - was that even the
newest
> > bttv driver (0.7.100) didn't autodetect the card
correctly.
> > Because of the stereo capability the audio outout ended
up

href="http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://bytesex.org/bttv">http://bytesex.org/bttv</a>, untar and in the drivers
> > directory open the bttv-cards.c file in your favorite
> > editor. In the section for card 13 (approx. line 372
change
> > the first audiomux setting to 0xff44e. After that just
> > compile and install as per instructions.
> >
> > Option 2 worked just fine for me and I'm happy with the
> > card. As for the Pinnacle card I guess I just bought a
> > remote and IR receiver for $30 minus whatever I can sell
> the
> > card for on ebay.
> >
> > Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> >

> > > CompUSA has a Pinnacle "PCTV Pro Internal PCI TV Card"
> with
> > > a remote for
> > > $49.99 after rebate (purchase by 12/18 to qualify).
This

href="http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=299099#moreinfo">http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=299099#moreinfo</a>">http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=299099#moreinfo">http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=299099#moreinfo</a></a>;

href="http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=292417#moreinfo">http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=292417#moreinfo</a>">http://mail.telocity.com/jump/http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=292417#moreinfo">http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?tabtype=pi&product%5Fcode=292417#moreinfo</a></a>;