[mythtv] performance

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:04:51 -0600

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:11:41 -0800
"Kevin Bowen" <kevin@ucsd.edu> wrote:

About SBLive(dma contention pig):  You might appreciate TecChannel's discussion of the problem.
http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/index.html.  One of things you notice
is that all the VIA motherboards at the time had serious dma performance issues.
The same problem was also encountered by the Linux guy who does Iomega Jazz support:
Serguei Miridonov <mirsev@cicese.mx> (search for vialatency & linux on google).

As far as performance on individual systems, I average about 85% (mpeg4) on a
Leadtek 7350kda (SIS735) with 512mb of cas 2.5 ddr memory using a Athlon
XP2000.  Sound is a Hoontech Digital XG (YMF754), and disks are u2w scsi
on a symbios 8751?. TV-capture card is a Hauppauge WinTV stereo. Video is
an ATI Radeon 7500 using the Gatos XFree drivers + drm patches.

Even using on RTjpeg recording my old system with KT133 motherboard (athlon 1200)
stutters at 640x480 (looks like memory or bus bandwidth issues).

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission