[mythtv] RedHat 8.0 and hardware questions.

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. mythtv-dev@snowman.net
17 Dec 2002 11:21:27 -0800

[...]

m> Live TV is super jerky with pauses every 10-15 seconds. Playback of
m> recorded shows is not as jerky, but still not right. I'm not sure if
m> it's the playback that is giving me the problems or the original *.nuv
m> files have issues and there's a problem in how my system is recording
m> them. I will attempt to play one of them on a different host.

m> Someone asked about my mainboard... it's a Asus A7S333. The system has a
m> AMD XP2100 and 256MB DDR PC2700. Should be quick enough. Also, running
m> RedHat 7.3 w/2.4.20 and Gnome 2 (Ximian snaps).

        It's probably not that simple but how did you compile mythtv?
I have an AMD XP2200 and I made the mistake of compiling mythtv (or
libavcodec really) with:

./configure --extra-cflags="-march=athlon"

(instead of "-march=athlon -O3" or even the default "-O3").  Without
optimization, live TV at 640x480 MPEG-4 was using >90% CPU and was not
smooth.  With a recompile, CPU usage went down to 50-70%.

NOTE:  This was with RedHat 8.0's 2.4.18 kernel.  I've been trying a
2.4.20 kernel and CPU usage went down by another ~10%.  However, the
capture quality doesn't seem to be as good -- there is (very) slightly
more jerkiness.  Files recorded with the previous kernel seem to look
fine when played in the new kernel.  Anyway, I'm still investigating.

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net